Citizenship Case Attorney in Washington, D.C.
Experienced Support Throughout the Naturalization Process
The decision to become a U.S. citizen through Naturalization is an important one and a Green Card holder should apply immediately when eligible. Fortunately, our Washington, D.C. citizenship case lawyer can help you handle this complex process.
In most cases, to be eligible for naturalization you must:
- Be age 18 or older; and
- Be a permanent resident for a certain amount of time (usually 5 years or 3 years, depending on how you obtained status); and
- Be a person of good moral character; and
- Have a basic knowledge of the U.S. government (this, too, can be excepted due to permanent physical or mental impairment); and
- Have a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States; and
- Be able to read, write, and speak basic English.
There are exceptions to this last rule for someone who at the time of filing:
- Is 55 years old and has been a permanent resident for at least 15 years; or
- Is 50 years old and has been a permanent resident for at least 20 years; or
- Has a permanent physical or mental impairment that makes the individual unable to fulfill these requirements.
In addition to the right to vote, some of the benefits of citizenship are that as a US citizen you do not have to renew your green card, will be less at risk for removal from the United States, you can remain outside of the country for an unlimited period of time without endangering your right to return, possibly even pass citizenship on to your children, be able to enter other countries without a visa and be eligible for a wider range of student loans or grants.
If you think you may be eligible for US citizenship or just have a few questions, call Law Group International at (703) 546-9300 to schedule a consultation.
Delivering Quality Immigration Services to Our ClientsFirst-Hand Experiences
“Best Immigration Attorney.”- Brandlynn T.
“I’ve been a client of this firm for over 5 years, through multiple cases & transactions.”- Ahmed J.
“Highly recommended!”- Shannon P.